Sunday, April 20, 2008

Daddy-long Legs

If you try to search for "daddy-long legs" in google, most probably you will arrive into the category of spider.

"Hi i'm daddy long legs spider!"


Like other spiders, this daddy long legs spider (Pholcidae) is believed to have the most potent venom of any spider. However, the sad thing is, its fangs are either too small to puncture to our human's skin.

If you're surprised why am I posting up all this disgusting pics, or wondered is my webby becomes an animal directory...

No lar!

It was because recent days my bathroom got this "long legs spider" (this is what i called them) appeared. So sudden some more! The thing is... IT HAS MORE THAN ONE! Oh no man!

It's like... I see three of them in my bathroom, then when I entered into my room, I see ANOTHER 2 there! I told my mum about it, and she said that they were "long leg mosquito"... Deng, spider and mosquito? Confusing la...

So I did some research on it... and I found out that those are actually some crane flies. Also known as "daddy long legs". According to Wikipedia, there are three types of daddy longlegs:

  1. Crane flies (not venomous, live to mate and die)
  2. Opiliones (eat small insects)
  3. A true spider (like what I described at first)

So I think the one which I spotted in my bathroom are belong to the first category, crane flies. It's not what I called "long leg spider" nor what my mum called "long leg mosquito". (hopefully....)

Looks like those spotted in my bathroom

Luckily those are not venomous insects. However, they did scare me off coz while I was bathing, they actually flew here and flew there... If these are really venomous... I have no idea what would happen...

6 comments:

Lee said...

你还真好学,竟然去wikipedia找资料。
很好,孺子可教!哈哈!

Lee said...

印象中,冲凉房时常都有这种昆虫。

Anonymous said...

It not meant it

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I regard as nice post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)